Your doctor or healthcare provider probably knows a lot about weight loss. As obesity is the new American epidemic, healthcare professionals are more routinely treating obesity-related diseases. A really good doctor or nurse practitioner will go beyond just treating the symptoms and helping you figure out how to lose weight and keep it off.
There are many ways to go about this:
- Visit your Primary Care Physician – This is always a great place to get started with any health concern, and remember that weight loss is not only a cosmetic issue; it’s a very important health issue. Many primary care physicians will assist you with a diet plan and help you monitor your progress.
- Visit your gastric band fill practitioner – If you’re a gastric band patient, you really ought to follow your practitioners’ advice about routine care. Many healthcare providers who specialize in gastric band follow-up recommend monthly follow-up in the first year or so, and it’s important to return annually to check for potential problems and reinforce the education you received during the first year.
- Attend a healthcare-focused weight loss support group – most bariatric programs realize the importance of regular follow-up care and support, so they host support groups. It’s a great way to get advice from all sorts of people struggling with similar problems as yourself.
- Attend a specialized support group for your ailments – some medical groups have regular support groups for specific conditions, such as diabetes. Ask around, and you might find one that is a good fit for you.
- Try a physician-assisted weight loss program – If your PCP does not have a regular weight loss program, ask for his or her assistance in finding one that specializes in weight loss. Most cities have several physicians who focus exclusively on weight loss and can teach you a lot about how your body uses food as energy and stores it as fat.
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you certainly know that while everyone wants to look good and have energy, weight loss is more about improving your health. That’s why it is important to discuss it with your healthcare providers.
At Weight Loss Surgical Center, we help people lose weight with adjustable gastric banding surgery and a special focus on long-term support after surgery. If you would like to learn more about what we do, download our free kit of adjustable gastric band surgery information.